Coronavirus vs Trump

237,236 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I Moved to Canada During the Pandemic - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/i-moved-canada-during-pandemic/614569/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calbear93
bearister said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/i-moved-canada-during-pandemic/614569/
Nice. It was especially encouraging how safe it was to purchase a case of wine. I read about that one liberal who bought an island and SIP, demanding that the helicopter pilot wear mask before landing and dropping off the case of Lafite. I thought that was impressive until I saw that progressive liberal SIP in a yacht and encouraging everyone else to SIP and shut down (other than people who brought and prepared his food and washed his clothes). It was very inspiring.
bearister
" Instead, the Trump administration and Trump-swayed governors have turned a crisis into a catastrophe, a catastrophe that continues to get uniquely worse in the United States even as it ebbs almost everywhere else in the developed world. In retrospect, the most humiliating fact about the coronavirus pandemic was that under responsible leadership and with some moderate amount of social cohesion, it was a highly manageable threat. Within less than six months of the first cases, it became apparent what to do. Almost everybody else in the developed world then did it. Almost everybody else in the developed world is now collecting the benefits of having done it. Donald Trump, following the imperatives of his own ego, refused to do it. He then imposed that refusal on the federal government, and encouraged it in Republican-led states, as Fox News hosts and Facebook posters applauded.

It could have been otherwise. It still could be. But in July as in January, the biggest difference between the United States and the rest of the developed world is that the U.S. has the misfortune of having Donald Trump in charge."
David Frum
Big C
calbear93 said:

bearister said:

Nice. It was especially encouraging how safe it was to purchase a case of wine. I read about that one liberal who bought an island and SIP, demanding that the helicopter pilot wear mask before landing and dropping off the case of Lafite. I thought that was impressive until I saw that progressive liberal SIP in a yacht and encouraging everyone else to SIP and shut down (other than people who brought and prepared his food and washed his clothes). It was very inspiring.

You'll be proud of me: I had to fire our long-time butler, when I caught him in his quarters WITHOUT A MASK, eating his sandwich. It pained me to do it, but he knew the rules!

Why the heck can't people follow these simple mitigation strategies that are proven effective against COVID-19?!? No wonder we're in a pickle.
bearister
I heard your butler used to "adulterate" your food in creative ways because he is a Furd man.

HERMAN CAIN DIED FOR tRUMP's SINS
calbear93
Big C said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

You'll be proud of me: I had to fire our long-time butler, when I caught him in his quarters WITHOUT A MASK, eating his sandwich. It pained me to do it, but he knew the rules!

Why the heck can't people follow these simple mitigation strategies that are proven effective against COVID-19?!? No wonder we're in a pickle.
I am proud. We need more patriots and warriors like you. I think if we had more people like you, we can limit the infection rate to the unessential essentials and get this situation under control for us. I think if we make it mandatory, subject to criminal prosecution for those irresponsible people who just refuse, that people store at least 3 months worth of filet mignon and lobsters in their subzero refrigerators while we shut everything down other than what we need to be made, delivered and cooked for us, everyone will be less inclined to not SIP. This is such an easy solution, but we just suck at storing up essentials like Silver Oak, lobsters, and steak.
bearister
...and sometimes a true patriot has to clownstomp a disabled old lady in the defense of freedom:

Woman with cane assaulted at N.J. Staples after asking customer to wear mask (VIDEO)

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2020/07/woman-with-cane-violently-assaulted-at-nj-staples-after-asking-customer-to-wear-mask-video.html
calbear93
bearister said:

...and sometimes a true patriot has to clownstomp a disabled old lady in the defense of freedom:

Woman with cane assaulted at N.J. Staples after asking customer to wear mask (VIDEO)

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2020/07/woman-with-cane-violently-assaulted-at-nj-staples-after-asking-customer-to-wear-mask-video.html

I think you just have to let those things go because if you try to have her arrested, you would just end up escalating and risking police violence. Hopefully, violently attacking people for being asked to wear a mask will die down without risking police brutality.
bearister
Well, in that case I believe it is chargeable as a felony assault and battery so I would charge her. The broken bone made it a very serious matter.
Big C
bearister said:

I heard your butler used to "adulterate" your food in creative ways because he is a Furd man.

LOL, I always wanted to have a Furd grad for a butler, but could never find one that would take the job. Should've retitled the position Executive Director of House Services...
bearister
BearNIt
bearister said:

You think Captain catastrophe and his Merry Band of Idiots give two shytes about Herman Cain a so-called friend of POTUS or any of the other people that got ill after going to his rally in Tulsa? He would have to be able to have empathy and think of someone other than himself which he is incapable of. His complete failure to lead this country at the beginning of the pandemic the and lack of a national testing program have doomed this country.
calbear93
bearister said:

I would rather he go golfing than do more damage or tweet more idiocy. I wish he would just golf 24/7 until next January.
bearister

*Well, at least tRump has a mangina
bearister
Amid a Mississippi Coronavirus Surge, Morgues Are Overflowing and Coroners Are Scared

https://www.thedailybeast.com/amid-a-mississippi-coronavirus-surge-morgues-are-overflowing-and-coroners-are-scared

After Plummeting, the Virus Soars Back in the Midwest DNyuz

https://dnyuz.com/2020/08/01/after-plummeting-the-virus-soars-back-in-the-midwest/
sycasey
bearister said:

*Well, at least tRump has a mangina

This article seems to leave out some of the better COVID responses in countries that have male leaders, like Canada and Australia. There may be something to the idea that women heads of state have been better, but you need to examine everyone.
dimitrig
bearister said:

Amid a Mississippi Coronavirus Surge, Morgues Are Overflowing and Coroners Are Scared

https://www.thedailybeast.com/amid-a-mississippi-coronavirus-surge-morgues-are-overflowing-and-coroners-are-scared

https://dnyuz.com/2020/08/01/after-plummeting-the-virus-soars-back-in-the-midwest/

"One Mississippian asked the governor why the state was not emulating China, the first country to detect COVID-19 and the first to control the spread of the virus. "Mississippi's never going to be China. Mississippi's never going to be North Korea," Reeves responded."

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/mar/23/governor-rejects-state-lockdown-covid-19-mississip/
Big C
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

"One Mississippian asked the governor why the state was not emulating China, the first country to detect COVID-19 and the first to control the spread of the virus. "Mississippi's never going to be China. Mississippi's never going to be North Korea," Reeves responded."

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/mar/23/governor-rejects-state-lockdown-covid-19-mississip/

Down the road, after the dust settles, maybe we'll realize that it's not always a bad idea to be more like other countries.

Nah...
bearister
America's Small Businesses Need a Marshall Plan | Howard Schultz

"With a new coronavirus relief measure stalled in Congress, CEOs of some of the world's biggest companies have banded together to send a message to Washington: Get money to small businesses now!

"By Labor Day, we foresee a wave of permanent closures if the right steps are not taken soon," warns the letter, organized by Howard Schultz and signed by more than 100 CEOs, including the heads of Salesforce, Alphabet, Facebook, Microsoft, Walmart, McDonald's, Disney, Quibi, IBM, Merck, Marriott, the Business Roundtable, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and more.

Axios Markets editor Dion Rabouin writes that the letter to the top four congressional leaders lays out a recipe for a sizable small-business aid package.

The project, Schultz's first big public push since he suspended his run for president, calls for:

"federally guaranteed loans, at favorable terms, that will enable small businesses to transform and sustain themselves."

"Businesses should have flexibility in how loan funds are used."

"The hardest-hit businesses should be eligible for at least partial loan forgiveness."

"Relief needs to be delivered expeditiously. Building on the existing PPP infrastructure would be one way to quickly stand up a new loan program."

"These funds must flow to all small businesses in need, particularly those run by people of color, who have traditionally had less access to capital."

Between the lines: Neither the House's HEROES Act nor the latest version of Senate Republicans' HEALS Act include significant funding for small businesses besides the PPP extension.

The last word: "Tens of millions of Americans have already lost their jobs in this pandemic. ... By year end, the domino effect of lost jobs as well as the lost services and lost products that small businesses provide could be catastrophic." Axios

https://www.howardschultz.com/lettertocongress/
dimitrig
bearister said:

"With a new coronavirus relief measure stalled in Congress, CEOs of some of the world's biggest companies have banded together to send a message to Washington: Get money to small businesses now!

"By Labor Day, we foresee a wave of permanent closures if the right steps are not taken soon," warns the letter, organized by Howard Schultz and signed by more than 100 CEOs, including the heads of Salesforce, Alphabet, Facebook, Microsoft, Walmart, McDonald's, Disney, Quibi, IBM, Merck, Marriott, the Business Roundtable, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and more.

Axios Markets editor Dion Rabouin writes that the letter to the top four congressional leaders lays out a recipe for a sizable small-business aid package.

The project, Schultz's first big public push since he suspended his run for president, calls for:

"federally guaranteed loans, at favorable terms, that will enable small businesses to transform and sustain themselves."

"The hardest-hit businesses should be eligible for at least partial loan forgiveness."

"Relief needs to be delivered expeditiously. Building on the existing PPP infrastructure would be one way to quickly stand up a new loan program."

"These funds must flow to all small businesses in need, particularly those run by people of color, who have traditionally had less access to capital."

Between the lines: Neither the House's HEROES Act nor the latest version of Senate Republicans' HEALS Act include significant funding for small businesses besides the PPP extension.

The last word: "Tens of millions of Americans have already lost their jobs in this pandemic. ... By year end, the domino effect of lost jobs as well as the lost services and lost products that small businesses provide could be catastrophic." Axios

Sounds like these large companies are realizing that without small businesses they may not have very many customers. I doubt they are doing this from the kindness of their hearts.

calbear93
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Sounds like these large companies are realizing that without small businesses they may not have very many customers. I doubt they are doing this from the kindness of their hearts.

Why is "compassion" and "empathy" limited to us and not to CEOs of companies? Why vilify others? Writing those things do not elevate us or anything we have done, and make our ass sitting behind a computer any more heroic.

I believe there is a lot connecting all of us, and the faster we move on from this culture of dividing and vilifying each other by party, class, and race, the better.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Why is "compassion" and "empathy" limited to us and not to CEOs of companies? Why vilify others? Writing those things do not elevate us or anything we have done, and make our ass sitting behind a computer any more heroic.

I believe there is a lot connecting all of us, and the faster we move on from this culture of dividing and vilifying each other by party, class, and race, the better.

Part of the resentment has to be due to extremely bloated CEO compensation. Compensation has skewed during my working lifetime and the magnanimous CEOs can only say, "I've got nothing to do with that. It's all in the hands of the BODs."
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Part of the resentment has to be due to extremely bloated CEO compensation. Compensation has skewed during my working lifetime and the magnanimous CEOs can only say, "I've got nothing to do with that. It's all in the hands of the BODs."

A big part of that has been from the governance folks who promote alignment of shareholder interest with those of management. When you look at most of the executive compensation, it comes from equity grants. It also came from tax rules before TCJA where performance based compensation was permitted to be deducted even if it exceeds one million. It also came from proxy advisory firms who promote long-term equity compensation and performance based compensation over fixed or cash compensation. With the historic rise in equity, those policies resulted in bloated compensation. Hell is paved with good intentions. Just like the real estate asset bubbles and 2008 financial crisis were created by the good intention of the federal government subsidizing home ownership and mortgages, the rise in executive compensation rose from tax laws intended to limit executive compensation, governance folks trying to limit fixed executive compensation, and the asset bubbles and rise of equity markets.
sycasey
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Especially if you look at CEO compensation in other capitalist economies (Japan, Germany, etc.). America is way out of whack here. No way the CEO is really worth that much.

As to the original point, I honestly don't care if they are saying this out of the goodness of their hearts or rational self-interest. Either way the point is valid.
smh

featured comment swiped from poster DDwiz to wapo's Tom Toles' gift above (upper/left, always go left)..
https://www.gocomics.com/tomtoles/2020/08/02
Quote:

Nah, we now know that the Trump team, headed by Jared Kushner (when Putin wanted to buy a U.S. president, he went to Jared), knew exactly what to do and formulated a plan early. They did not "miss" the ball, they booted it intentionally; they took a dive; they threw the games to an extent that would shame even the Chicago Black Sox of 1919.

But when Jared learned that it was the blue states being hit the hardest in those early days, he decided to sacrifice the states that would never vote for Trump and then blame it on the Democratic governors.
Now that it is hitting the red states and has backfired, once again Jared turns out to be less brilliant than advertised.
preemptive-boothing:
www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air
muting 301 handles, turnaround is fair play
bearister
Nancy Pelosi says she has no confidence in Deborah Birx over handling of pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/02/nancy-pelosi-deborah-birx-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
dimitrig
calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

The GOP stands completely opposed to many issues I support such as the need for basic human healthcare, a clean environment, and equal access to education. There is no common ground and that is why those who support it are the enemy. I am not sure if there is ONE THING I could compromise with them about. I even support some of their biggest political positions - fiscal conservatism and the belief in free markets - but it is clear that is just lip service to the politicians representing that Party. Today's GOP is about one thing and one thing only: making money for themselves, their friends, and their donors. This leads to the class warfare you see as well.

The US will not be a united nation again until the GOP either changes its way or dies completely, because the rest of the country is not moving towards their political positions. There is no incentive for me or others like me to want to move to the right. We are already the majority and growing. There is a lot of incentive for the GOP to move left, because if they don't they will cease to exist.

As for these 100 CEOs, I am sure they are not all bad people. However, call me skeptical that now that they have gotten their bailouts they are suddenly calling for aid to small businesses. The aid should have gone to small business to begin with, not the ones with huge piles of cash who have been borrowing to pay out dividends and buy back shares of stock. Only now that they are they realizing this will impact their own businesses supply chain and customer base are they lobbying on behalf of small business. There's nothing wrong with being skeptical of their motives. They should just be upfront about it and say: "If these small business fail then we will also be hurt" instead of talking like they are really worried about minority owned businesses having access to capital. Sure they are.

I am not sorting by party or class. They are doing that themselves and I am not going to call for unity for the sake of unity.

calbear93
dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

The GOP stands completely opposed to many issues I support such as the need for basic human healthcare, a clean environment, and equal access to education. There is no common ground and that is why those who support it are the enemy. I am not sure if there is ONE THING I could compromise with them about. I even support some of their biggest political positions - fiscal conservatism and the belief in free markets - but it is clear that is just lip service to the politicians representing that Party. Today's GOP is about one thing and one thing only: making money for themselves, their friends, and their donors. This leads to the class warfare you see as well.

The US will not be a united nation again until the GOP either changes its way or dies completely, because the rest of the country is not moving towards their political positions. There is no incentive for me or others like me to want to move to the right. We are already the majority and growing. There is a lot of incentive for the GOP to move left, because if they don't they will cease to exist.

As for these 100 CEOs, I am sure they are not all bad people. However, call me skeptical that now that they have gotten their bailouts they are suddenly calling for aid to small businesses. The aid should have gone to small business to begin with, not the ones with huge piles of cash who have been borrowing to pay out dividends and buy back shares of stock. Only now that they are they realizing this will impact their own businesses supply chain and customer base are they lobbying on behalf of small business. There's nothing wrong with being skeptical of their motives. They should just be upfront about it and say: "If these small business fail then we will also be hurt" instead of talking like they are really worried about minority owned businesses having access to capital. Sure they are.

I am not sorting by party or class. They are doing that themselves and I am not going to call for unity for the sake of unity.

Listen, to say Republican platform opposes basic human healthcare, a clean environment, and equal access to education is just to state your biased opinion as a fact. While I disagree with the hardcore republicans on this issue, I suspect the parties are debating the best method for providing and affording basic human healthcare. While there are those who are climate change deniers or those who believe shutting down the economy is the right thing to do to protect the environment, most who are opposed to certain regulation may be doing so because they believe the cost outweighs the benefit. I mean, there are costs I am sure you are not willing to pay, such as elimination of the human race. It is a matter of degrees. And access to education is such a vague reference, I am not sure what you mean.

By the way, the richest CEOs are the tech CEOs who are generally categorized as liberal (and "do no harm"), with liberals working at tech companies with woke policies who are creating the biggest wage gap. Somehow, you confuse CEOs as Republican when the richest ones are Democrats.

You do not see how your divisive nature by party identification blinds you to certain facts or to things that are gravely wrong with your party. You are so busy pointing the fingers that you intentionally avoid having to look at your side.
calpoly
calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

Listen, to say Republican platform opposes basic human healthcare, a clean environment, and equal access to education is just to state your biased opinion as a fact. While I disagree with the hardcore republicans on this issue, I suspect the parties are debating the best method for providing and affording basic human healthcare. While there are those who are climate change deniers or those who believe shutting down the economy is the right thing to do to protect the environment, most who are opposed to certain regulation may be doing so because they believe the cost outweighs the benefit. I mean, there are costs I am sure you are not willing to pay, such as elimination of the human race. It is a matter of degrees. And access to education is such a vague reference, I am not sure what you mean.

By the way, the richest CEOs are the tech CEOs who are generally categorized as liberal (and "do no harm"), with liberals working at tech companies with woke policies who are creating the biggest wage gap. Somehow, you confuse CEOs as Republican when the richest ones are Democrats.

You do not see how your divisive nature by party identification blinds you to certain facts or to things that are gravely wrong with your party. You are so busy pointing the fingers that you intentionally avoid having to look at your side.
"Listen, to say Republican platform opposes basic human healthcare, a clean environment, and equal access to education is just to state your biased opinion as a fact. "

Dude, you are clueless. Just look at republican voting records and legislation they put forth. Where is the alternative to the ACA that was supposed to be cheaper and cover more medical procedures? Why is coal and oil the only energy sources that republicans support? The list goes on but I have a day job (not sure you do).
calbear93
I love the ignore function. I can see that they are responding to my post, but I don't have to read anything more of their stupidity until someone not only engages but quotes these mindless trolls. But funny how these trolls just can't quit me despite me having explained to them in very explicit fashion what I think of them. They are so desperate for attention:: please, please acknowledge me. Quite pathetic.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

A big part of that has been from the governance folks who promote alignment of shareholder interest with those of management. When you look at most of the executive compensation, it comes from equity grants. It also came from tax rules before TCJA where performance based compensation was permitted to be deducted even if it exceeds one million. It also came from proxy advisory firms who promote long-term equity compensation and performance based compensation over fixed or cash compensation. With the historic rise in equity, those policies resulted in bloated compensation. Hell is paved with good intentions. Just like the real estate asset bubbles and 2008 financial crisis were created by the good intention of the federal government subsidizing home ownership and mortgages, the rise in executive compensation rose from tax laws intended to limit executive compensation, governance folks trying to limit fixed executive compensation, and the asset bubbles and rise of equity markets.

When you give someone stock, not options, that is not incentive based. All you have to do is not cause the stock to crash before you cash out. The two companies I worked for paid their CEOs in huge amounts of stock. The stock did nothing and they sold when they could. Incentive/performance based my ass. On the flip side, I got years of stock Options when Pacbell was bought by SBC. The stock went from 60 to 20 during those years. I made $2500 dollars before they shipped me to IBM. Don't get me started on that company. The compensation game is so skewed it's sickening.
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

When you give someone stock, not options, that is not incentive based. All you have to do is not cause the stock to crash before you cash out. The two companies I worked for paid their CEOs in huge amounts of stock. The stock did nothing and they sold when they could. Incentive/performance based my ass. On the flip side, I got years of stock Options when Pacbell was bought by SBC. The stock went from 60 to 20 during those years. I made $2500 dollars before they shipped me to IBM. Don't get me started on that company. The compensation game is so skewed it's sickening.
The funny thing is that proxy advisory firms and other governance folks trying to reign in executive compensation do not treat options as incentive based, arguing that options over 10 year period will go up in value. Most would agree that time-based vesting stock or RSUs are not performance based, but most companies have performance based vesting of stock or RSUs, such as relative TSR.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

The funny thing is that proxy advisory firms and other governance folks trying to reign in executive compensation do not treat options as incentive based, arguing that options over 10 year period will go up in value. Most would agree that time-based vesting stock or RSUs are not performance based, but most companies have performance based vesting of stock or RSUs, such as relative TSR.

I don't trust any one or any group who's been charged with 'reigning in' executive compensation. They've probably been paid hundreds of millions of dollars too for having zero impact. Rigged game. I defy anyone to show me evidence otherwise. BTW, I've voted Republican my entire voting life so this isn't coming from some bleeding heart liberal. But even an old righty can only get hit over the head so long. I don't see either side actually addressing this.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

A big part of that has been from the governance folks who promote alignment of shareholder interest with those of management. .
I think it's also due in large part to the process that companies use for exec comp. They all hire Compensia (or similar) to help them with the analysis. Every company seems to target 75% for their pay. Because every company aims to comp above average, you have constant upward pressure on pay. Every time compensation is reset it's based on the new higher market.

I don't disagree that rising equity values juice the results some, but the entire ecosystem is built to remove value from consideration. Execs get paid a lot because execs get paid a lot.

It's not any different from QB pay in the NFL.
calpoly
calbear93 said:

I love the ignore function. I can see that they are responding to my post, but I don't have to read anything more of their stupidity until someone not only engages but quotes these mindless trolls. But funny how these trolls just can't quit me despite me having explained to them in very explicit fashion what I think of them. They are so desperate for attention:: please, please acknowledge me. Quite pathetic.
And yet you still respond. You use the ignore feature because don't like being called out when you lie about conservative values and your wonderful intentions. Instead you make it all about you. Do you really think I want your attention? Boy are you vain.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.