OT: Trump/Russians/Robert Mueller

487,466 Views | 3284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.axios.com/north-korea-says-it-will-freeze-nuke-and-missile-tests-1524261998-e9e79469-fafb-4cb6-b336-2726ceaaa25b.html

tRump 2020! MAGA! tRump Nobel Peace Prize!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
bearister said:

https://www.axios.com/north-korea-says-it-will-freeze-nuke-and-missile-tests-1524261998-e9e79469-fafb-4cb6-b336-2726ceaaa25b.html

Good news, assuming we can trust what North Korea says.
Anarchistbear
" The 2019 Nobel Peace Prize- Donald J Trump and Little Rocket Man."
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

" The 2019 Nobel Peace Prize- Donald J Trump and Little Rocket Man."

The award ceremony can be at Leavenworth or Sing Sing depending on what statutes they proceed under.
mikecohen
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Good news, assuming we can trust what North Korea says.
The mover and shaker on this is President Xi.

He is guaranteeing North Korea's security, and keeping the starvation there to a somewhat manageable level; and China is much more interested in trade and economic development these days and doesn't need this annoyance (and the cosmic danger North Korea could present from its cosmic stupidity) in the way.

So, along with guaranteeing North Korea's security, China, by the same token, represents the real existential threat to North Korea, only because China is the only force that could do it, and it wouldn't want anyone else even trying.

So, who benefits most from North Korea beginning to play nice? China; and there is absolutely no benefit to North Korea from not doing pretty much exactly what China wants (and maybe even economically incentivizes) them to do.

Besides, it doesn't cost anything, since they could un-freeze on a dime; and, besides, dealing with a dotard like Trump, they might even come up with a lot of extra benefit to them that they could slip into the deal without him or his dwindling talent pool team realizing it.
bearister
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/21/giuliani-trump-defense-questions-544703
bearister

bearister
Joe diGenova was interviewed on The Circus. He stated that starting two years ago that the Deep State has been framing Donald tRump. John failed to ask Joe the $64,000 question: How does George Papadopoulos, Michael Flynn, Rick Gates, Richard Pinedo, and Alex van der Zwaag all pleading guilty in connection with the Russian investigation fit into the Deep State conspiracy narrative? Can someone here field the question? I assume Fox News has talking points on this issue.
mikecohen
bearister said:

Joe diGenova was interviewed on The Circus. He stated that starting two years ago that the Deep State has been framing Donald tRump. John failed to ask Joe the $64,000 question: How does George Papadopoulos, Michael Flynn, Rick Gates, Richard Pinedo, and Alex van der Zwaag all pleading guilty in connection with the Russian investigation fit into the Deep State conspiracy narrative? Can someone here field the question? I assume Fox News has talking points on this issue.
Trying to get inside the Trumpist mindset: If the FBI decides to seriously investigate ANYBODY, they could find SOMETHING to charge; and, with people who have been in power, such opportunities grow; AND, if they're found out, their vulnerability to this form of legal blackmail increases, but does not necessarily add to, or prove, the allegations of conspiracy with Russia.
bearister
mikecohen said:

bearister said:

Trying to get inside the Trumpist mindset: If the FBI decides to seriously investigate ANYBODY, they could find SOMETHING to charge; and, with people who have been in power, such opportunities grow; AND, if they're found out, their vulnerability to this form of legal blackmail increases, but does not necessarily add to, or prove, the allegations of conspiracy with Russia.

So one hypothetical tRumpist narrative is that to avoid prosecution for other felonies they agreed to plead guilty to felonies DIRECTLY related to Russian interference with the election. Hmmm...I think they need to go back to the drawing board.
blungld
bearister said:

I hear things like "EVERY successful man has skeletons in the closet". You could arrest anybody if you wanted to--it's just how you do business.

To me the justification sounds a lot like my least favorite sports expression: "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."

So, it seems to me that the cheating or illegality rather than being damning, is proof of success and doing whatever it takes to win. It's almost proof of high character when you see the world in terms of winning equals wealth equals respect equals ends justify the means. I think it is the fundamental, and perhaps defining difference in the split of our country (and very much in line with Lakoff's strict father vs nurturing ethical model). When you boil things down: half the country thinks might (power/wealth/status) makes right, and the other half believes that how you get there and distributing the "winning" matters.
Unit2Sucks
Yeah everybody launders money for the Russian mob. This is very typical behavior and probably 99% of Americans could be rung up on RICO charges if the government tried.

That's basically how conservatives are rationalizing this.

Another Bear
The Russian mob stuff is a much larger problem than people realize. I can't remember the source but there was a quote, "most mafia or mob operations don't have a country and government that works with them and provides over." There's also a term for old school mobsters (often former KGB'er), "criminals in law".

In Europe the Russian mob issues is a major concern where the Russian mob has mixed legit business ownership to their money-laundry operations. They supposedly own grocery chains, restaurant franchises and legit businesses. Spain had a major Russian mob issue and ended up expelling a bunch of mobsters and shutting town the money laundering.

Peanut Gallery Consultant
bearister
blungld said:

.....half the country thinks might (power/wealth/status) makes right....

And they get the proletariat to vote in this column against their own best interests by pandering to their fear of Blacks, Latinos, and Muslims. I believe the tRump Crime Family lives by the credo "Never give a sucker an even break."

?
Another Bear
Pulitzer-winning reporter David Cay Johnston: "The evidence suggests Trump is a traitor"
Quote:

Investigative reporter who has covered Trump for 30 years dares to imagine impeachment and President Nancy Pelos
This is a good read. The guy knows Trump. Also a full podcast (interview starts at 28:30): Podcast

Quote:

You have studied and written about Donald Trump for three decades. What does the public need to know about his background, to understand his behavior as president?

Here are the key things people should know about Donald Trump. He comes from a family of criminals: His grandfather made his fortune running *****houses in Seattle and in the Yukon Territory. His father, Fred, had a business partner named Willie Tomasello, who was an associate of the Gambino crime family. Trump's father was also investigated by the U.S. Senate for ripping off the government for what would be the equivalent of $36 million in today's money. Donald got his showmanship from his dad, as well as his comfort with organized criminals.

I think it is very important for religious Americans to know that Donald Trump says that his personal philosophy of life is revenge. He has called anyone who turns the other cheek -- which is a fundamental teaching of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount -- a fool, an idiot or a schmuck. Trump is a man who says things that are absolutely contrary to the teachings of the New Testament. He also denigrates Christians. Yet you see all of these ministers endorsing him.

I've followed Donald for 30 years. I don't see any evidence that he has changed, and he certainly hasn't repented, which is a fundamental Christian obligation.

He is a racist through and through. He has been found in formal judicial proceedings to discriminate against nonwhites in rentals and employment.

It's important to understand that Trump is aggressively anti-Christian, despite claiming to be one. He is bluntly a racist. Most importantly, he is literally ignorant about almost everything.

sonofabear51
Well, no surprise here.
Start Slowly and taper off
mikecohen
Another Bear said:

Pulitzer-winning reporter David Cay Johnston: "The evidence suggests Trump is a traitor"
Quote:

Investigative reporter who has covered Trump for 30 years dares to imagine impeachment and President Nancy Pelos
This is a good read. The guy knows Trump. Also a full podcast (interview starts at 28:30): Podcast

Quote:

You have studied and written about Donald Trump for three decades. What does the public need to know about his background, to understand his behavior as president?

Here are the key things people should know about Donald Trump. He comes from a family of criminals: His grandfather made his fortune running *****houses in Seattle and in the Yukon Territory. His father, Fred, had a business partner named Willie Tomasello, who was an associate of the Gambino crime family. Trump's father was also investigated by the U.S. Senate for ripping off the government for what would be the equivalent of $36 million in today's money. Donald got his showmanship from his dad, as well as his comfort with organized criminals.

I think it is very important for religious Americans to know that Donald Trump says that his personal philosophy of life is revenge. He has called anyone who turns the other cheek -- which is a fundamental teaching of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount -- a fool, an idiot or a schmuck. Trump is a man who says things that are absolutely contrary to the teachings of the New Testament. He also denigrates Christians. Yet you see all of these ministers endorsing him.

I've followed Donald for 30 years. I don't see any evidence that he has changed, and he certainly hasn't repented, which is a fundamental Christian obligation.

He is a racist through and through. He has been found in formal judicial proceedings to discriminate against nonwhites in rentals and employment.

It's important to understand that Trump is aggressively anti-Christian, despite claiming to be one. He is bluntly a racist. Most importantly, he is literally ignorant about almost everything.

I tried to post a response, but was barred, with a red phrase (YOUR FORUM CODE IS INVALID). What does that mean?
B.A. Bearacus
Not familiar with that error, but definitely try copying your text before trying again in case the error happens again. If you tried a quote reply, maybe try a regular reply or new post reply instead?
mikecohen
B.A. Bearacus said:

Not familiar with that error, but definitely try copying your text before trying again in case the error happens again. If you tried a quote reply, maybe try a regular reply or new post reply instead?
Tried all those things. Nothing worked. Also tried posting it below, and that didn't work. I saved it in case someone had the answer.
Another Bear
mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

I tried to post a response, but was barred, with a red phrase (YOUR FORUM CODE IS INVALID). What does that mean?
On here it was barred, or that article's site? That's weird if it's here.
mikecohen
Another Bear said:

mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

It was on here
B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear
mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

It was on here
It's the Deep State or the Russkies...take your pick.
Another Bear
mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

It was on here

Okay I experienced that just now on the "scrotum" thread. If you have a banned word in a link, you could get "YOUR FORUM CODE IS INVALID" and thus reject the post.
B.A. Bearacus
mikecohen
Another Bear said:

mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

mikecohen said:

Another Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

It was on here

Okay I experienced that just now on the "scrotum" thread. If you have a banned word in a link, you could get "YOUR FORUM CODE IS INVALID" and thus reject the post.
No link to anything; and the closest thing to a banned word I can think of is "shtick". Are you staff?; or do you know how I can get to staff to try to figure this out?
Another Bear
Not staff. I think there's a tech talk section.
B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear said:

AB staff? The way he talks **** about Trump? Hehe.
mikecohen
B.A. Bearacus said:

Another Bear said:

Seriously? So you think this was an expression of pique on the part of the Bear Insider staff because they are offended by my criticisms of Trump? Maybe I misunderstand. It's been known to happen.
Another Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

Another Bear said:

I only speak the truth...or what the media feeds me, and they're offering up an all-you-can-eat glutton fest of Pee Parties, Russkie hackers, American traitors, porn starlets with more integrity than a sitting POTUS, a bunch of incompetent appointees and a whole damn swarm of creeps, ghouls, real Nazi and who knows what else.

You can't make this stuff up. Trump is going to leave a permanent sh!!t stain on America...and we all lose.
B.A. Bearacus
mikecohen said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Another Bear said:

Seriously? So you think this was an expression of pique on the part of the Bear Insider staff because they are offended by my criticisms of Trump? Maybe I misunderstand. It's been known to happen.

All I'm saying is that the BI staff doesn't engage in opinionated discussions about Trump on BI. I was chuckling at the thought that AB could be staff given that he does not fit that profile.

I consider myself to be reasonably techie. Feel free to pm what you are trying to post and I'll try to figure out what the blocker is.
mikecohen
Another Bear said:

Quote:

Quote:

This past weekend Mr. Johnston appeared on a CNN BookTV Panel, from USC, along with two other Trump denigrators; and what happened afterwards was an eye-opener.

The Trump supporters callers-in were so outraged (at the lack of "balance") that CNN turned over the entire listener comment section to Trump supporters, who, universally, had not one substantive thing to say in support of their fervent to the end support for their hero, which gave me the idea that the clear way to start a dialogue that could put an end to this madness is simply to call them out at every turn, simply by asking them for the specifics of what they supported and approved of what he has done and/or wants and/or proposes to do, because, to the extent they take the bait (and such perfectly unobjectionable questions could eventually force them to), what will come out of their mouths will be one of two things:
(1) Truly ugly racism, or
(2) complete fabrications with absolutely no basis in reason, because, although there is a true font of legitimate political energy at their backs (i.e., both the economic abandonment and cultural denigration of their class) they (as well as Trump) have no clue as to any truly possible and effective fix to those negatives in their lives.

Really, the actual policies that would help them are:

A. (even just) the New Deal programs (or their modern equivalents, added to better ways of actuating such programs that have hopefully developed over time), which big money (in the form both of the donors the Democrats need in order to compete nationally, and the Republican Party itself, already, bought and paid for, lock, stock and barrel, by big money) has effectively prevented them from doing, other than to a crippled extent

[keep the following in mind: When Obama took office, there were at least three Nobel Prize economists he could have appointed Treasury Secretary, whom he does not appear to have even considered, in favor of Larry Summers, who not only was substantially to the right of all of them, and, as much out of lack of imagination as anything else, did not stray much from the desires of Wall Street (as did the Clinton people when they allowed the repeal of Glass-Steagall without anything resembling any kind of reasonable replacement for its function - the absence of which led directly, almost without passing Go, to the recent Great Recession, and the radical upward migration of wealth/power/opportunity to a degree not seen since the fall of Feudalism], and

B. the humanistic spirit that unites Democrats (but which the Republicans have managed to Balkanize - even though the Democrats themselves do not, because the different previously disadvantaged groups that Democratic policies have helped lift up (to the extent possible in this poisonous political atmosphere created by Lee Atwater and his progeny) do NOT fight each other for bigger pieces of the pie (except in Chicago, at least through the reign of Daley the Younger), but (as largely in California) work together.

Something else that became clear is what I heard someone say in a program about Fox News. What I described above, about the Trump supporters' being outraged at the lack of balance of the Johnston panel is straight from Fox News, which created its whole "Fair and Balanced" (and False Equivalency) shtick from that grass-roots frustration from the witches' brew of social conservatism / economic deprivation / and cultural denigration that was left after the democrats could no longer figure out a way to implement the Four Freedoms and governmental programs that massively allowed everybody (except racial minorities) to rise into the middle class after WWII, and which made Ike's economic path so extraordinarily easy in the 1950s.

So what Fox did was to posit a "balance", or opposing view, to whatever reasonable proposition (e.g., universal healthcare, regulation of tobacco) being proposed politically; and it didn't matter if the opposing view actually made sense (any more than anything Hannity ever says ever makes any sense) as long as it was expressed in the cultural tones of the above-described audience (with the real, essentially prejudiced, anachronistic bases being expressed in dog-whistles), and with lots of attitude (which Southerners of all stripes, from Blues Singers to Senator Helms, are good at, and we all learn cultural norms from the way they talk).

bearister
Well played, mikecohen, well played!

*I think that may be Ward Cleaver in the center of the second row.
mikecohen
bearister said:

Well played, mikecohen, well played!

*I think that may be Ward Cleaver in the center of the second row.
"Applause to an artist is like food to a hungry man." Sonny Rollins
blungld
I just saw the Republican report on Russian collusion. As I've said from the beginning, I just wanted this fairly investigated and whatever the outcome I would move on in support of the findings. Clearly, as this report concludes, there is nothing to see here and Trump and his administration are completely innocent despite appearances and just made a few small errors in judgement. Hey, we all make mistakes.

We will have to remember the names of these members of Congress who signed this report so that we can all look back at them as American heroes who worked in pursuit of justice and exonerated our President. We can not forget to ensure that they too are duly rewarded by history.

I guess we can end this thread here (poetically on page 45) and be done, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.