OT: Trump/Russians/Robert Mueller

487,692 Views | 3284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Freudian slip.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearDevil
11 House 'Pubs have sent a letter to Sessions urging him to prosecute HRC, Comey, Lynch, and others. Kinda surprised it's only 11. Despite gerrymandering, there are going to a lot of seriously pissed off GOP base voters if they lose the House without taking down any of their sworn enemies. Wannabe Ryan replacement Jim Jordan claims he's never heard Trump lie!?!
Another Bear
New York seeks authority to prosecute despite presidential pardons

Quote:

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (D) on Wednesday asked state lawmakers to amend the law so that prosecutors can charge individuals who have benefitted from a presidential pardon.

New York's existing law states that if an individual pleads guilty or is convicted of a federal crime and then is pardoned by the president, prosecutors cannot bring charges for violating state laws because of a double-jeopardy rule that stipulates a person cannot be tried for the same crime twice.

Schneiderman wrote to Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) and leaders of the state legislature and argued that as a result of the current policy, a "strategically-timed pardon" could protect individuals who have violated New York state laws.
As a result, Schneiderman is asking that state lawmakers change the New York statute so that double-jeopardy protections do not apply to cases involving presidential pardons.

"New York's statutory protections could result in the unintended and unjust consequence of insulating someone pardoned for serious federal crimes from subsequent prosecution for state crimes even if that person was never tried or convicted in federal court, and never served a single day in federal prison," Schneiderman wrote.
Quote:

We are disturbed by reports that @POTUS is considering pardons of individuals who may have committed serious federal crimesacts that may also violate NY law.

We must ensure that if any president issues such pardons, we can use NY's laws to bring such individuals to justice. pic.twitter.com/oPEkwTrB0S
Eric Schneiderman (@AGSchneiderman) April 18, 2018

bearister
B.A. Bearacus
concordtom
Is there a bigger ashole than Roger Stone?

"Barbara Bush was a nasty drunk. When it came to drinking she made Betty Ford look like Carrie Nation #blottoBabs," Stone wrote, hours after the former first lady's death. "Barbara Bush drank so much booze, if they cremated her her body would burn for three days."
When asked about his divisive statements by TheWrap, Stone doubled down.
"She said far worse things about me," Stone told TheWrap. "Barbara Bush was a vindictive, entitled, mean-spirited woman. May she rest in peace."'

Another Bear
Barbara Bush was the brains and ambition behind the Bush operation. Her husband did well as an instituationalist who was inside the GOP. He was in fact a traditional New England GOP who tilted left on social issue..yes, he was a LIBERAL GOP and there was once such a thing. Then he carpetbagged his way to Texass, probably on Barb's push, for the oil money.

The problem wasn't H.W., but the dingbat, drunk, draft-dodging son...who was born again and has the legacy of "Mission Accomplished" and two unwinnable, multi-trillion dollar wars that will never end. Trump will deflect much of Bush's record with pure incompetence and spectacle...but Dubya is still the idiot stooge who killed the American century...and Babs was his baby-momma.

We can make nice-nice in respecting her as she passes...but she wasn't just part of the problem, she birthed the problem, then pushed him and we paid for it.

concordtom
I think you're being much too harsh.
I am not a fan of the son, at all, but I do view him as simply not as smart and intelligent as necessary for the job. But he got in because he learned how to present himself and because of the name.

There are men who are honestly cruel (Trump, Stone, Newt, Hannity, Rush etc come to mind) and evil and have no moral compass. I don't think Bush the son was that way. I think he was malleable, uninspiring, uncreative, excessively confident, narrow-minded and foolish. But I don't think he can top this current generation. In fact, I think he's spoken out against them.

And the mom is to blame because she birthed and raised a person who was duped by Dick Cheney et al?
Come on, man.
Another Bear
Sorry, Dubya wasn't smart enough to run on his own ambition...and the USA will be paying for his mistakes for a very, very long time. The Arab world doesn't forget stuff like war and he started a couple. They invented the university system and keep records for millenniums.

The nice thing to say is I hope she rests in peace...but the reality is we won't be resting for centuries, or ever.
dajo9
concordtom said:

I am not a fan of the son, at all, but I do view him as simply not as smart and intelligent as necessary for the job. But he got in because he learned how to present himself and because of the name.

There are men who are honestly cruel (Trump, Stone, Newt, Hannity, Rush etc come to mind) and evil and have no moral compass. I don't think Bush the son was that way. I think he was malleable, uninspiring, uncreative, excessively confident, narrow-minded and foolish. But I don't think he can top this current generation. In fact, I think he's spoken out against them.

And the mom is to blame because she birthed and raised a person who was duped by Dick Cheney et al?
Come on, man.
As long as we can all agree that W was the worst President between Nixon and Trump, we are all probably on the same page here
American Vermin
bearister
Another Bear
A view on the US sanctions on Russia by someone who worked in the British embassy in Moscow

Quote:

America has demonstrated its unique power in the global economy. No country can match its ability to hurt a major adversary in this way

Interesting read about sanction on Russia, post election hacking.

Summary: the US engaged Russia in global trade in the 'oughts, thinking it would join the G7 and become westernized and cooperative because of economic interests. Russia said FU, got some of the global economic lube but turned on the G7. Formed a counter trade group, EurAsian trade group, or something like that...weaponized their oil and energy trade.

The short take on: American sanctions are going to really mess with Russia...so that's how payback is being engineered. The jokes about the breadlines in Petrograd might become true. And I'd expect more Russian hacking.
Another Bear
Trump Justice Department Confirms That Mueller Suspects Paul Manafort of Colluding with Russia

Quote:

The revelation about the former campaign manager is stunning.

Quote:

Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort is believed to have served as a "back channel" between the presidential campaign and Russia, a lawyer for Trump's Department of Justice disclosed Thursday.

According to Bloomberg, U.S. prosecutors made the allegation while defending special counsel Robert Mueller's decision to indict Manafort on charges of money laundering and acting as an agent of a foreign government.

Manafort's lawyers argued the charges are outside of Mueller's mandate, which includes an obligation to investigate "any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation" of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Justice Department lawyer Michael Dreeben told U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson that Manafort "had long-standing ties to Russia-backed politicians."

"Did they provide back channels to Russia?" Dreeben asked. "Investigators will naturally look at those things."

B.A. Bearacus
bearister
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/19/new-york-state-law-trump-pardons-eric-schneiderman?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
B.A. Bearacus
blungld
B.A. Bearacus said:

How do you "negotiate" innocence? If this entire investigation is finding nothing and Trump and his administration and family are all innocent with nothing to hide, why the lawyering up, declarations of witch hunt, and blatant attempts to stop the investigation at every turn--let me guess they don't want the investigation to show just how really really innocent they all are?
Another Bear
bearister
Rudy will use the $1000 per hour he charges tRump for useless legal advice to buy a set of veneers for his rotten set of lower gnashers. Rudy is up to his armpits in Russian issues himself. He needs the scratch and the teeth to go trolling for a new young babe.

bearister
concordtom
It's just all so very sad.
Anarchistbear
More good news, the IG referred Andrew McCabe's case for potential prosecution. What's interesting here is that McCabe's account differs from Comey's, so maybe Comey also becomes a target for perjury? Keep the home fires burning.
mikecohen
concordtom said:

Come on, man.
I agree that speaking ill of the dead is a bridge too far. But, considering the destruction of blood, treasure and the lives and society of millions of people, I don't think you should give W a pass, or say that the evil speakers you mention were worse, when, if only because they never had anything approaching the power that W had, they never had such an unreservedly evil effect on so many.
B.A. Bearacus

B.A. Bearacus
@jamisonfoser:

Giuliani isn't there to negotiate anything; he's there as a conduit to rogue FBI agents looking to undermine probe.

Giuliani's 2016 scheming with rogue FBI agents is an essential part of this story and any reporter who doesn't include it should be ashamed.

Rudy Giuliani is there to obstruct justice. This is obvious. His 2016 scheming makes that clear.

Giuliani isn't there to practice law. He's there for relationships in NY FBI office.
Neither WaPo nor NYT mentions GIuliani's late 2016 scheming with rogue FBI agents in their articles about him joining Team Trump \_()_/

dajo9
B.A. Bearacus said:

@jamisonfoser:

Giuliani isn't there to negotiate anything; he's there as a conduit to rogue FBI agents looking to undermine probe.

Giuliani's 2016 scheming with rogue FBI agents is an essential part of this story and any reporter who doesn't include it should be ashamed.

Rudy Giuliani is there to obstruct justice. This is obvious. His 2016 scheming makes that clear.

Giuliani isn't there to practice law. He's there for relationships in NY FBI office.
Neither WaPo nor NYT mentions GIuliani's late 2016 scheming with rogue FBI agents in their articles about him joining Team Trump \_()_/

This is a great point. Giuliani is scum but is treated as some kind of hero.

He spoke to our company once. Joked about the good old days when they could break the law in pursuit of bad guys. He disgusted me even more than usual on that day.
American Vermin
Another Bear
okaydo

dajo9
okaydo said:

Great interview. Real journalism.
American Vermin
bearister
dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

@jamisonfoser:

This is a great point. Giuliani is scum but is treated as some kind of hero.

He spoke to our company once. Joked about the good old days when they could break the law in pursuit of bad guys. He disgusted me even more than usual on that day.

Rudy is a chip off the ole block. Ladies and Gentlemen, presented for your consideration is Rudy's daddy, Harold (Rudy is basically Matt Damon's character in The Departed):

Harold Giuliani, a plumber and a bartender,[19] had trouble holding a job, and was convicted of felony assault and robbery, serving time in Sing Sing.[20] After his release he worked as an enforcer for his brother-in-law Leo D'Avanzo, who ran an organized crime operation involved in loan sharking and gambling at a restaurant in Brooklyn.[Wikipedia]

Rudy is also chin deep in Russian dealings:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/donald-trump-cabinet-rudy-giuliani.html

Not a good guy:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/12/rudy-giuliani-trump-cabinet-secretary-state-mayor/
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
James Comey to New Yorker Editor David Remnick, during a taping of "The New Yorker Radio Hour" in New York last night, about President Trump:

"I think he has an emptiness inside of him, and a hunger for affirmation, that I've never seen in an adult." Axios
bearister
This is a brilliant maneuver just from the standpoint of the right to conduct discovery and take depositions. It is a total Fred Goldman "I'm never letting up on the b@stard" move. Well played, Mr. Burgundy, well played!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/20/trump-russia-wikileaks-sued-democrats-lawsuit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Anarchistbear
The DNC should sue Clinton for fraud. Spent a billion and lost to Donald Trump
Another Bear
DNC sues Russia, Trump campaign and WikiLeaks over alleged election interference

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.